Friday, February 6, 2009

Combating Peer Pressure

When I was in high school there were a lot of arguments people used to get teenagers to make bad decisions ie. screw up. A few of the lines were "How do you know if you do not try?" "My parents used to do it." "Are you scared?"

Here are ways to combat these attempts to get people to make wrong decisions.
1. "How do you know if you do not try?"
Well, we can look at others consequences and behavior and see it is wrong. When I see someone on heroin and see them under the influence after a few months, I can quickly tell it is bad and I do not want to do it. If I see a raw egg, I do not have to taste it to realize that I would not like it. I do not have to "try" jail to realize I do not want to go there.
2. "My parents used to do it?"
They stopped. In cases of smoking, if your parents hadn't stopped, they likely wished they had.
3. "Are you scared?"
Typically this is used oftentimes at many ages. In high school that was one of the ways guys would try to get girls to sleep with them. The comeback can be," Are you scared to get married first?" or "No; I'm not stupid and do not want to contribute to the economy with a baby, sexually transmitted disease, or condom at this time or in some cases ever."
4. "You won't date me because I'm fat!"
Comeback: "Well, if you take care of yourself like that then how would you take care of children and me?"

No comments: